Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Come On Spud Just Say It

We pegged my daughter as a big talker at an early age. Her first word was "shoe" and immediately after came a host of new words - "juice," love you", "cheese", "yay", and of course "momma." The Beast took a little longer to use the spoken word. He was quiet and just smiled and giggled a lot. His first word was "ball", and he used it for everything. Well, except his momma. He knew that all he had to do was reach up with those chubby little arms and say "Momma, momma" to get exactly what he wanted.

The Spud is in no hurry to talk. I did hear him say the word "kitty" once, and occasionally he shouts an "Amen!" at the end of our prayers. But mostly he babbles on in Spud language that we have no idea what he's talking about. Except... every morning when I go in to wake the kids and get them ready, the Spud will stand beaming in his crib and shout"Daddy! Daddy!" as clear as anything. Throughout the day, he will often look over at me and say "Daddy?" and then laugh hysterically. I have tried coaching him to say "Momma" or "Mommy", but the little stinker will have none of it.

I suppose I should be glad the first two were so delighted to say their Momma's name, but having the Spud only say "Daddy" really grates on me. Poor Daddy finally gets a kid that is more attached to him, and here I am, trying to bribe him or cooerce him into saying Momma, thus crossing over to the winning side.

And even as I type this, I can hear the Spud's voice chanting over the monitor - "Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!" Yeah, its going to be a fun day!

Oh and in other completely random news, my shop The Framed Frog was featured on Getting to Know You Tuesdays at SassMowth Designs! Kathryn (the blog's writer) is someone I met through Twitter and now read her blog regularly. She rocks!

2 comments:

  1. Aww, there is always a mommy vs. daddy war going on. Jake said da da first, but then would only say mommy if he was frustrated. And then, it was never just momma or mommy, it was mommamommamommamommamomma. Don't these kids know who we are?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daddy-in-law2:16 PM

    Spud says now grandpa too.

    ReplyDelete

Help relieve some of my insanity by letting me know you stopped by!