Friday, February 11, 2011

Mine for the Moments

I was sitting this morning in my favorite spot in the living room. All curled up in the cozy leather recliner with coffee and Bible in hand, I was ready to shake off the last bits of sleepiness and enter the land of the alive and the awake. Something resembling a blue-and-red torpedo came speeding out of the boys' room, propelling itself onto the couch and making loud, not-meant-for-early-morning sounds. The dust cleared long enough for me to recognize the Spud, who was now launching himself from the couch to my chair. "Momma, Momma, Momma," he chanted as he pushed his way under my arm and grinned up at me. He leaned over and planted a sloppy kiss on my cheek as he proceeded to ask me for something. I had no idea what he requested; I was too caught up in the blueness of his eyes, the impossibly long eyelashes, and the sweet kiss he had given me just moments before.
I have found myself doing that a lot lately - getting distracted by the little beings that call me Momma and marveling at the fact that each one is mine. I stare at the physical features that make them a part of both me and the Nerd. I attempt to smooth out the unruly Vasel hair that sticks out all over the Beast's head. I examine the little ears, the sweet button noses, the adorable pudgy cheeks, and the toddler tummies that poke out under the Cars and Thomas T-shirts.

Daily, I am amused and awed by the different personalities that God has chosen to give us. I recognize my own stubbornness and creativity in the Drama Queen, while wondering how to help her overcome her shyness, a trait obviously inherited from her daddy. I embrace the quirky behaviors that make our Beast so unique and special and then struggle to deal with the difficult side of the same behaviors. I smile at the the thought that our tiniest offspring has the most "larger-than-life" personality, sharing jokes and pranks and a seemingly endless supply of affection.

So, maybe the Spud will have to ask me the same question again. Maybe the laundry will sit on the couch a little longer before it gets folded and put away. Maybe blog posts that are piling up in my head will have to wait just a little longer before they get typed up and published. That's okay - I don't want to miss a moment of these "distractions." All too soon those chubby tummies will smooth out, and the sweet chunky cheeks of toddlerhood will disappear.

Every day, I thank God for giving me these little reminders of His love. This Valentines' Day I reflect on all the love showered upon me, and I conclude that surely I could not be blessed more. My little Valentines are a welcome distraction, any day of the week!

1 comment:

  1. I love it! Being a mom is the best. The only thing better is being Mema!

    ReplyDelete

Help relieve some of my insanity by letting me know you stopped by!