Thursday, June 14, 2012

Fits the Feingold Diet - Snack Time

Surprisingly, the transition to making most of our food from scratch has been a relatively easy one.  I am getting more comfortable in the kitchen, making bread twice a week as well as several snack foods.  These honey graham crackers are so yummy and easy to make.  I make up a double batch of the dough and freeze it in several rounds.  That way, I can just pull out a round to thaw when we need some more crackers and bake 'em up.  I'm not patient enough to roll out a perfect rectangle and cut graham crackers out that look like the ones you buy at the store.  So, I just scrounge around in my cookie cutter box and use whatever looks like fun at the time.  The Beast called the ones in the picture above "pirate cookies", because he said they looked like gold doubloons.  Whatever works, right?!  I've also made them in teddy bear shapes - giant teddy grahams.  Anyway, you can find the recipe I used here at Foodie Bride.  
Another favorite snack around here are animal crackers.  Only, ours never look like animals.  Sometimes they look like maple leaves or stars or hearts, but mostly the kids choose alphabet shapes for their cookies.  The Beast prefers only letters that exist in his name, the number 3, and the number 8.  The Spud likes to get as many cookies out of the dough as possible so there always ends up being a lot of sevens, lower case l's, and ones - ha!  Anyway, I mentioned this link before in a potpourri post, but you should definitely try this recipe for animal crackers.  Like the graham cracker dough, you can freeze this dough too in portions to be pulled out and thawed as needed.
However, the snack of choice around here are my homemade granola bars.  I found this recipe a year ago and have made it countless times since.  When made with a cup of chocolate chips (Feingold approved, of course) and a cup of shredded coconut, they are so good that you think you are cheating on granola bars with cookie bars or something.  I make 24 bars at a time, but they are always gone within a few days.  So good!

It's snack time!  Pick one to try with your family today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Help relieve some of my insanity by letting me know you stopped by!