Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Farewell to the Frog

So when did I post last? November?

I'm sure it comes as no surprise to anyone that life has been busy and crazy around here. I don't claim any special circumstances that make my life any busier or more hectic than any of you. All of us have unique challenges that make life . . . interesting.

Ahem. Anyway, a few weeks ago, I was sitting on the couch in our living room. The time was 3:30 am, and another episode of "In Plain Sight" droned on on the TV. I was wearily putting the finishing touches on yet another custom name train, with a stack of orders piled up next to me that had to be completed and shipped out before Christmas. It wasn't the first time that week that I had stayed up that late to work on some Etsy shop orders. In fact, it had happened EVERY night for two weeks! Insanity was starting to set in. . .

That night (or morning, or whatever time of day it was), I realized something. I didn't enjoy it anymore. The whole reason I had started up The Framed Frog in the first place was to give me a chance to do something I loved and make a little money in the process. Now I sat there, hating the stupid train on the table in front of me and feeling like I was going to scream if I had to paint one more stripe or one more polka dot. Something had to give! Family time, housework, church ministry, my husband - everything was suffering as I plodded through each custom order.

After a lot of prayer and discussion with the Nerd, I decided to close The Framed Frog indefinitely. I am moving on to a new chapter in my life now. My life is full now with school activities, Davey's therapy, church ministry, taking care of my family, and taking care of my home. The Framed Frog provided a creative outlet that I no longer need, at least not now anyway. I still plan on doing the occasional custom piece for friends and family, but the shop is closed.

It is with a sense of relief ( and a clean house!) that I write this post. Earlier this morning, I played several rounds of "Uno Moo" with the Beast and the Spud without worrying about when I was going to get an order completed. After I pick up my daughter from school later, we are going to sit down and plan out her birthday party coming up in a few weeks. I have "fullness of joy" and feel content.

And, best of all, I will be able to get back into the whole blogging thing. It looks like I'll be playing "catch-up" for a while to record all of our holidays goings-ons and to read all my favorite blogs. I am looking forward to the challenge!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry you had to give up your shop. But good for you for following your heart.

    I, too, had to make that difficult decision about a year ago. It was becoming more of a chore than anything. And after the first couple months, I really didn't miss it anymore. The deadlines, the stress, the time away from my family ... it just wasn't worth it. And isn't it fun to have time to just play with your kids without worrying about the next thing you need to get done? (except maybe laundry or dishes) :)

    Many blessings to you and your family in the coming year!

    ReplyDelete

Help relieve some of my insanity by letting me know you stopped by!