Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Identity

To two very special people in my life, I am "Daughter." For many years I fulfilled this role by doing my best to obey them and spending time with them. Now, I still am "Daughter", although the role has changed to long phone calls and pictures of grandkids.

To four more people scattered across this nation (and Canada!), I am "Sister." I tackled this identity with great gusto, balancing being a fun playmate and being the most annoying pest ever as well as I could. I suppose not much has changed in that arena. I still am "Sister" through phone calls, Facebook messages, and text messages.

To one amazing man, I am "Wife." I took on this position almost seven years ago, not realizing what an incredible blessing and crazy journey being a wife would be. As long as God gives us life, I will be my Nerd's wife and partner in crime.

To three adorable children, I am "Mom." Daily, I change diapers, wipe noses, clean up spilled juice, teach ABC's, buckle car seats, potty train, entertain, coax to nap, and encourage the littles. I also have the great privilege of sharing God with them every day, through verses, songs, and prayer. I sense this role changing all the time as the kids grow. I will always be glad to hold the title "Mom."

To many wonderful people, I am "Friend." I take this position seriously and rejoice in each friendship with which God has blessed me. I am thankful for the long chats, on-the-spot babysitting, care, and prayers that this title has afforded me.

To thirteen crazy junior-highers, I am "Teacher." To my family, I am "Housekeeper." I could continue to list the many titles or identities that I possess. Each are a part of my identity, but one title completely sums up my entire identity:

I am "His."
He is my source of life. Acts 17:28 tells me that I live and move and have my being in Him.
He knows me. He understands my frailty (Psalm 103:14) and knows what it's like to be tempted. (Hebrews 4:15).

He cares about me. "Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you." I Peter 5:7

He represents me. He "ever liveth to make intercession"(Hebrews 7:25) before my Heavenly Father, and he defends me against Satan. (Revelation 12:10).

Because I am His, I am His heir. He is preparing a place for me right now (John 14:2), and I will get to experience eternal fellowship with Him - "so shall we ever be with the Lord." (I Thessalonians 4:17)

Knowing your identity is what controls your life. Live your life solely as a mom, and other relationships will suffer. Live your life as self, and chaos and destruction are sure to follow.

But, when I get to live my life being His, it colors every other part of my identity and helps me be a better wife, a more patient mom, a more compassionate friend, and so on. This is what it means to belong to Christ. No identity crisis here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Help relieve some of my insanity by letting me know you stopped by!