Thursday, December 04, 2008

Being a SAHM

Frequently heard around our house:
Gabi:  "Mommy, let's read this book."
Me:  "Not now, sweetie, Mommy has to feed Michael."
Gabi:  "How about now, Mommy?"
Me:  "No, honey, I have to change the baby's diaper.  Why don't you read it to your brother?"
Gabi:  "ok."
(a few minutes later)
Gabi:  "Mommy, I just want to hold now.  Hold me please!"
Me:  "Sweetheart, it's just going to have to wait.  The kitchen's a mess and I have to clean it."

These conversations can last a lot longer, but I will spare all the minute details.  Suffice it to say, that yesterday after saying no to my daughter for the umpteenth time, a thought struck me.  Why exactly am I staying home with my kids anyway?  Surely I am not a stay-at-home-MOM just to do housework and busywork all day?!  But that's exactly what I have been doing - instead of taking advantage of precious moments with my children, I am spending the majority of my day on the stupid house.  Granted, the house needs cleaning, but it should never detract from my time with my children.  And it's not like she's asking me for candy - she wants me to READ to her, for goodness' sake!

So yesterday I turned the lights out in the kitchen - it looks better in the dark - and tried not to think about the laundry and chores that had to be done.  I sent Gabi to the bookshelf to pick out a pile of books, and together we read about Little Quack and the Cat in the Hat and many other fantastical creatures.  I had forgotten how much I love to read aloud.  Then I sat down on the floor with the kids (much to the chagrin of my lower back later) and ventured into the world of Little People.  I thought the whole exercise would be rather boring for me, but the kids were delighted that I had joined them.  It was interesting to see the differences in their play.  Gabi is wildly imaginative, thinking outside the box as she plays with the various little people and animals.  David, on the other hand, is much more practical and sticks to the toys' intended use.  The little people ride in the bus, for example, and NEVER dangle out the windows or stand on their heads.

And THEN, and only then, did I tackle the housework.  I was content because I had spent quality time with my kids, and the kids were happy also.  I noticed a decrease in whining and general fighting throughout the rest of the day.  Hmmmmm.......

Not sure what we are going to do today, but I am looking forward to spending time with the precious little human beings God has given me.  Even if one of those precious little human beings is screaming my name right now...

Oh, and I just had to mention that my sister sent me the cutest Christmas ornaments for my birthday.  They are ceramic Starbucks cups - love them!  See them here.

3 comments:

  1. Every once in a while I have to remind myself of this as well (most recently yesterday). I admit I sometimes feel that pressure of needing a perfectly clean house BECAUSE I'm at home all day. I mean, women who work an outside job have a legitimate excuse for a messy house, right? (or so my thinking goes). I quess I just have to remind myself of the whole reason I'm here in the first place. I might as well enjoy the perks:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came over from Mykidsmom's blog, and I wanted to comment that I have the same difficulty. The housework feels more urgent, so it gets done while my children go neglected (not really). It's something I struggle with everyday, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well it's nice to know other struggle with it too. So do we have two full-time jobs instead of one???:)

    ReplyDelete

Help relieve some of my insanity by letting me know you stopped by!